Health update – Gallstones and hospital admissions Part 2

Awaiting my ERCP

So I last left you when I have just been admitted to a different hospital in the hope that I would get my ERCP procedure done the following day (Monday).

Well the next day came and after a wait of a few hours on nil by mouth I was told that my procedure would not be taking place as the ERCP machine had broken! Needless to say I was an emotional wreck. I was tired from not getting much sleep the night before and I was missing my family and knew I wouldn’t get to see them while I was over an hour away from home. I was totally irrational for a good few hours and was demanding to be sent home or sent back to my local hospital!

Anyway after a few chats on my phone with my Mum and the Consultant coming to see me and telling me that the procedure would hopefully happen on Wednesday I decided that I would stay there to have it done, as if I left I would be back to square one!

For the rest of Monday and Tuesday I was just waiting and hoping that the procedure would go ahead as planned on Wednesday. Wednesday morning came and I was given all of the pre procedure antibiotics and put on nil by mouth. I was also told that I was on the list for having the procedure today (which I wasn’t on Monday they where just hoping to fit me in!).


At about 11am I was told I would be going down for my procedure and I put on a super attractive hospital gown! I was taken down to the MRI Department and I mentioned to the nurses that last time I had an ERCP I was fully awake and remember everything! Well this time, I don’t know if they gave me a little more anaesthetic but the next thing I remember is them moving me onto the bed to go back to the ward! AMAZING!!

I was back up on the ward and was fully awake around an hour later. I was expecting to be asleep as another lady who had been up before me was still asleep when she came back up. I wasn’t allowed to eat for 4-5 hours after the procedure and I had to start on liquids first and then I was allowed food at around tea time.

I felt great after the ERCP I had no pain or complications and I was really hopeful that I would get to go home the following day! I was told as long as my bloods came back ok in the morning then I would be able too!

Being Discharged

I woke up on the Thursday and the Consultant came to see me and uttered the words I had been waiting to hear for 8 days… YOU CAN GO HOME!! (he didn’t mention that I needed to have my bloods taken again so I didn’t mention it either!) A little later on another doctor told me I couldn’t go without the bloods but I wasn’t having anything of it!

After waiting an age for my medication and discharge papers to be sorted, Gareth collected me and we made it home just in time for me to pick the kids up from school. This was amazing as I hadn’t seen them at all for nearly 5 days!

Since coming out of hospital I have had my bloods taken and my liver function tests where still showing up as abnormal and I am awaiting my appointment with Gastroenterology next week to discuss this. I have also had an ultrasound which I will get the results of at this appointment as well.

I am doing really good at the moment and eating everything in sight!

I will update you all on how my appointment goes next week!

Hannah xx


4 comments on “Health update – Gallstones and hospital admissions Part 2

  1. That is great that you felt good after the procedure! Looking forward to hearing about what they say at your appointment will be good to get some clarification on the results. Thanks for linking up to #coolmumclub lovely onwards and upwards! xoxo

    1. Oh my goodness the consultant was like mr Bean i got no answers just being sent for another blood test regarding my liver! X

  2. It’s so awful when you have to go through so much just to get treatment when you are so unwell. I hope that you get some results for your liver function too. #coolmumclub

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *